Pages

Tuesday 13 March 2018

Printing with a Gelatin Plate

I did an online mono printing class with Linda Germain recently because I've liked some of the images that she does and thought that it might be good to learn some techniques instead of just making mistakes myself.

We started from scratch and learnt how to make our own gelatin plate, in the past I have used a purchased Gelli Plate.

She posted many videos and I enjoyed the class although I did make many prints that I wasn't happy with as well as some OK ones. I printed onto the back of old printer paper so it didn't matter if they didn't work out.

My main problem was that I didn't have much paint to use. I hadn't used my paints for so long that they had dried out and were useless.

I had to make the best of what I had.

Here is a photo of some of my prints.

Mono Prints

I chose a simple vase shape and I quite liked the result but Linda suggested that I would have more room for interest if my vase shape was smaller.



Then I tried using some weeds from the garden and got an abstract like image.


I was starting to get a bit disillusioned and couldn't remember how I achieved some effects.

I decided to stop playing with paper because I am more interested in using fabric anyway.

When I switched to fabric I felt more at home and started to enjoy it more.

Mono printing on fabric

I decided to do things properly and test which paints worked better on fabric because it is a little more difficult than paper.

I'll post my test results in the next post.

Bye for now,
Linda

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Actually, they all look pretty good. Usually when I 'test' printing on paper I get my best results! Then, of course, you can never recreate it! HA Keep having fun. Look forward to your next pics

Linda Steele said...

I agree that the prints seem a lot easier and more successful on paper, Robbie

jude's page said...

Looks like you have had a lot of fun, and come to some conclusions at the same time.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Jude, I sometimes wish I had a bit more time to play though