Pages

Tuesday 21 November 2017

AQIPP Opening Night 2017

Last week I attended the AQIPP (Australian Quilts in Public Places) opening night. It is a biennial event and this year the theme was Reflection.

I decided to stay with my coral reef theme and made a quilt about the dangers of plastic and litter entering into the reef. My quilt is called 6 Pack Shame and I was surprised and thrilled to win a prize for Creativity in Colour.




Here I am standing with Fiona Horne who donated my beautiful prize.


Fiona is also passionate about the reef and the danger that it is currently facing. Fiona Horne makes glass ware and many of her pieces are inspired by coral reefs. She did not choose my quilt to win the prize that was done by the judges; it was just a coincidence that we have the same interests.

Here is the photo of the beautiful glass necklace that I won.

Necklace made by Fiona Horne of Rhino beads
I love the colour and I am sure that I will get a lot of wear out of it.
Fiona's business is called Rhino Glassbeads.

I also won some beautiful hand dyed threads by Marina Holland, I think it amazing that they are threads that are the perfect colour for embroidering corals.

Hand Dyed threads by Marina Holland
I also received two template sets from Victorian Textiles.

Templates from Victorian Textiles

There were lots of quilters that I knew there and was able to get some photos of them with their quilts.

On Reflection-Cape Town Harbour by Sue de Vanny

Place of Reflection by Linden Lancaster

Both Sue and Linden won Honourable Mentions for their beautiful quilts.

Reflection by Fran Batrouney

Reflection by Jacie Malseed
Super Moon by Rebecca Wolske


Upside Downside by Judy Robinson Whitty

The evening went by very quickly especially as I felt quite overwhelmed at winning a prize. I will have to go back to see the exhibition again and take some more photos when it is not so crowded.

Here is the photo of my quilt 6 Pack Shame.

6 Pack Shame © 2017 Linda Steele

As I was leaving the exhibition I caught sight of the AQIPP banner and my quilt from the last exhibition was featured.


The picture at the bottom is from my bushfire quilt that was in the competition two years ago.

It was a lovely finish to the evening.

AQIPP is on at the Box Hill Town Hall in Melbourne Australia.
It is open Tuesday to Friday 10am to 4pm and Saturdays from 12pm to 4pm. It is on until December 21st, so there is still plenty of time to see the exhibition.

Bye for now,
Linda

No comments: