Tuesday, 26 September 2017

Beginning a new quilt

For some time I have needed a project to take to sewing groups, I didn't want to have  something that was too complicated or needed good light for precision. I also wanted something bright and happy so I started making blocks with shapes that were not flower shapes.

I have finally finished the 12 blocks.

I fused the shapes and then used my sewing machine to blanket stitch around the edges. I used my machine for the blanket stitching because I find it a tedious stitch to do by hand.

I am going to add embroidery to them as my sewing group project, if the lighting is not very good I should still be able to embroider it without too much trouble. I have started a bit already to see if it would work. The pink circle has some colonial knots around it.

I found a thread container that I had bought years ago and thought it would be perfect to keep with the blocks.

I added some bright threads that I thought would go with the blocks. This is what it looks like when it is open.

So now I am ready to go to any sewing days. I have no idea what the finished quilt will look like as I have only designed the outside blocks. There is no hurry to design the rest of the quilt though, the idea is to have some sewing to do while I catch up with friends. I have the Waverley Patchworkers' retreat coming up and this will be perfect to take.

Bye for now,


Robbie said...

Blocks are VERY nice...your workmanship always is above standard!!!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Robbie, it will be bright, my friends were surprised when they saw the bright threads.