Pages

Tuesday 1 August 2017

The Bleaching is a winner at Showcase 2017

I have just spent a lovely few days at the Victorian Quilters Showcase and I was absolutely thrilled when the latest quilt in my Coral Reef series called The Bleaching won 2 prizes.

Here is a photo of me with my quilt not long after the awards ceremony. I won 1st in Pictorial and also Excellence in Embroidery and Embellishment.



The quilt is about how the coral reefs are suffering with the higher water temperatures which cause the coral to bleach and turn white. The middle section is all black and white to show what can happen to our coral reefs.
The last section shows the reef starting to regenerate because I wanted a happy ending.

Here are some detail photos.
I wanted to include some Clown fish swimming among the anemones but they were quite fiddly to make.





I have included quite a lot of embroidery by hand and machine on the quilt.





 People keep asking me how long the quilt took to make and I honestly lost track of time but I started it late in 2016 and finished it around June this year but I was working on other things as well.

I know that the hand embroidery was quite time consuming, and each coral section took a few days to make.




I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt.

The quilt ended up measuring 49" wide and 31" long.

When I get a chance I'll do a post about how I made the quilt.


There were so many beautiful quilts in the show and I took many photos, so in my next post I show some of them.

Bye for now,
Linda

6 comments:

Heather said...

Absolutely stunning!

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Heather, I am glad that you like it, I wasn't sure if people would like it or not.

Robbie said...

A big congratulations!!! This piece is wonderful and having you stand next to it gives me a better idea on it's size! You've posted before on it but I must have missed the size. A wonderful piece!!!!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Robbie,
Having someone standing near a quilt does give a good idea of size. Even when you can see the measurements it's still harder to see.

Gina E. said...

Congratulations on another well deserved prize (or two!). Not going to the big craft shows any more means I miss out on seeing your creations, but I am wondering, will it be on show at the Waverley Patchworkers quilt show later this year?

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Gina, Waverley's quilt show will be on at the end of May 2018