Pages

Tuesday 29 August 2017

I've been quilting for 20 years!

I have recently joined the Victorian Quilters committee and the editor of the magazine asked me to write a paragraph about my quilting likes etc. While I was wondering what to write it occurred to me to work out how long I have been quilting, I was surprised to realise that it was 20 years ago that I went along to my first beginners class. I didn't really know what a quilt was back then and I had booked into the class not knowing what the quilt even looked like.

I still have that first quilt and have very fond memories of making it because I was hooked from the first lesson.

My first Quilt


I had no idea how much quilting would take over my life. I have made many quilts and done many classes over the years. After about 6 years of following patterns I started to design my own quilts and then the obsession really began.

I have joined the Vic Quilters committee because I am taking on the role of Showcase Coordinator! Yes, I am actually taking on the running of our state quilt show.

At the Vic Quilters Annual General meeting earlier this month I was awarded my Judges Certificate.


Last year I was awarded my teaching certificate.



I have also been a Quilt Appraiser for a number of years. I certainly didn't set out to achieve these things, they just sort of happened along the way.

Quilting has been a wonderful part of my life and I have made many friends over the years. I wonder what my life would have been like if I hadn't gone along to that class 20 years ago?

Bye for now,
Linda



4 comments:

Robbie said...

And we are so lucky quilting became part of your life!!!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Robbie, you are very kind. I feel very blessed to have met so many wonderful people in the quilting world.

Gina E. said...

Congratulations Linda! I'm sure if you hadn't discovered the joys of quilting, you would have found another creative process to become part of. It would have been a terrible waste of talent if you hadn't :-)

Linda Steele said...

Hi Gina, thank you. Before I started quilting I always thought I would make doll houses or porcelain dolls, but once quilting took over there was no time