Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Thread Challenge

The Waverley Art Quilters met again for the first time this year. It was good to see everyone back after the holidays. Everyone looked refreshed and eager to start the year.
When we last met we were given two reels of very fine metallic thread in various colours. Mine were pink and gold.
They sat around my sewing room over the holidays while I was busy making my Life on the Reef quilt.

When it was time to start the challenge, a week before it was due, I decided to keep to my underwater theme and would try and make a Jellyfish quilt.

I was going to use a blue fabric for the background but when I put the threads on it they didn't show up enough.


So I used a black fabric to help the fine threads show up.


I drew up a little Jellyfish and then enlarged it so it would take up the entire A3 size of the quilt.
I used mostly gold organza to give that transparent floaty look.

I tried using the thread in my sewing machine but it was so fine that it was getting tangled even when I was trying to thread the machine.

I ended up sewing a chain stitch by hand and then wrapping thread around the chain stitch to make the line thicker.

I was so busy making the quilt that I forgot to take any progress photos.

Here is the finished quilt.


In the top part I added some tiny pink and gold seed beads to add some texture.


Bye for now,
Linda

11 comments:

jude's page said...

Your ideas are always great. What sort of thread is it? Did you use a thread sock on it?

Linda Steele said...

The thread was a very fine metallic that is woven into cloth when it is being manufactured. I didn't try a thread sock but I do have one somewhere, I should try it out. Thanks for the tip, Jude

Michele Hill said...

You are so clever Linda…..I would have cringed being given those 'Oh so difficult' threads……what a great challenge to just use them and get over it!! Big hugs from over the border xx

Robbie said...

Very nice! Your background quilting is perfect as well. I hope everyone clicks on the pic to enlarge to see the detail!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Michele and Robbie, it certainly was a challenge. It is good to get a chance to play around on small projects though, it's all too easy to be bogged down on big projects all the time.

Carli The Quilter said...

Lovely work Linda. Very interesting use of organza!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Caroline, I haven't used organza much in the past and it was a good opportunity to try it out. It's easy to use with a fusible web behind it.

Lynne said...

Beautiful. thanks for blogging about it, and for the details about the process and your design decision making.

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Lynne, it's lovely to hear that someone is reading my blog. I find it handy to be able to look back at how I've done something in the past

Gina E. said...

I wouldn't worry about 'someone' reading your blog, Linda - I'm sure there are many lurkers who don't comment! The jelly fish is beautiful, you really are very clever and creative.

Linda Steele said...

You are probably right Gina. I read blogs but only comment occasionally. Thanks for your comment, I know that you have been very loyal and I really appreciate it.