Pages

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Christmas Cracker

I belong to an on-line group called the Southern Cross Crazies and earlier this year a challenge was put out to the members to participate in a Christmas Cracker Swap.

The idea was to make a 8" x 13" crazy quilt block and wrap it around a 7" paper towel roll and fill the roll with little crazy quilting goodies and fabric. We all had to put our names  on a list and write our likes and dislikes down as well. We were given a name and we had to keep the recipient' name secret so it would be a surprise when they opened them at Christmas.

People have been posting pictures of their finished crackers and they all look wonderful.

Here is a photo of my finished Christmas Cracker.

Christmas Cracker 2012
I decided to use silk fabrics in greens and mauves, so first I got out those fabrics to try and plan the block.

Fabrics for Cracker
I decided to use an underwater theme and thought the colours would suit the look that I was after. I drew the pattern onto calico and foundation pieced the block.

Christmas Cracker base
 

I put some fish in the centre and tried to make the stitches look undersea and watery.


You can see that I added some more fish and a sea horse, squid and some shells.

I filled it with some silk fabric, lace, thread and beads etc.

Cracker contents

It's amazing how much you can fit in a 7" paper towel roll.

We are posting them off this week. I wonder what my Christmas Cracker will look like?

Bye for now,
Linda



2 comments:

Gina E. said...

What a great idea! I vaguely remember seeing something like that some years ago - making crackers out of patchwork fabric, but I don't think it was crazy quilting.
A lady came to the Guild today and mentioned that she is taking your workshop in Summer School! She is also doing Ann's miniature quilts workshop - keen!

Linda Steele said...

A Christmas cracker made of fabric and filled with sewing goodies is a fun present for a quilter. We are all posting them at the moment but aren't supposed to open them until Christmas!
Linda